You’re Getting Married: How to Change your Last Name after you say “I Do”

So, you have picked your date, decided on a location and have your Wedding Commissioner booked, but have you done your research on how to change your last name?

Although not all women change their last name after marriage, most do and for those that are, there’s a bit of paper work that goes along with that. We want to help make your adjustment into your “new identity” a little easier and have compiled a list of places you will want to make your changes (note that each Provence/State is a bit different).

Here is a handy list of the Documents you will want to change;

– Social Insurance Number – Tax records (the CRA) – Passport – Driver’s license – Health card

You will also have to notify your Employer, Banking Institution, Physician and Cell phone company, etc. of your name change, but you can do that after you have your government-issued identification with your new name!!

Where to start? You will need your Marriage Certificate to begin the process. You will need to present this legal document in order to change all other documents. We suggest ordering 2-3 extra copies and once those come in the mail you can begin changing the rest, starting with your S.I.N and informing your employer.

** Caution to travellers about changing your name on your Passport **

Please be aware and careful if you are applying for your passport right after getting married to use on your Honeymoon if it will show your married name. It is very important that the name on your passport matches the name that you have booked ALL of your travel plans with. If your name doesn’t match, these are a couple of the problems you may run into….

– Countries may not let you in.

– Some travel companies may not allow you to board.

This may also be the case even if you are carrying your Marriage Certificate or Civil Partnership Certificate with you. Always check with the rules and guidelines of the Country you plan to visit or with your travel agency!

You can never be to prepared when travelling as rules change from Country to Country.